Nutty Banana Bread
A cake that’s delicious for breakfast with a steaming cup of coffee. Swap the nuts for your favourite ones or make it nut-free.
- 75g (2½oz) butter, softened100g (3½oz) light brown sugar or caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas (about 500g/1lb)
- A few drops of vanilla extract, optional
- 200g (7oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 100g (3½oz) mixed walnut pieces and toasted hazelnuts
- 900g (2lb) loaf tin, lightly greased and strip-lined
- Set oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Peel the bananas and mash on a plate, using a fork. Beat mash into the creamed mixture, with the vanilla, if using, then sift in flour (adding the bran that’s left in the sieve, too) with the baking powder. Fold in, then stir in the nuts.
- Spoon the mixture into tin and smooth the top. Bake for 40-50 mins until loaf is risen and golden, and a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool in tin for 10 mins then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve warm or cold, spread with butter.